Building or renovating a home is a major project, so choosing a custom home builder for the job is important. You should feel comfortable asking questions and communicating your thoughts with your builder, and you need to make sure the custom home team you choose are the best for the job. As consumers, it’s important to take some time to “shop around” for the right builder. Here’s how to choose a custom builder for your next home.
Create a List
Create a list of potential custom home builders. In order to do this, you’ll need an idea of the area in which you’d like to build and the type of home you’d like designed and built. You’ll want to keep a running list of local builders with experience in the styles and price range you are interested in. Consider looking for potential home builders in the following places:
- Horry Georgetown Home Builders Association: The Grand Strand’s local chapter of the National Association of Home Builders has a section of its site dedicated to helping consumers find builders and specialists in our area.
- Simple Google Searches: Include relevant keywords (i.e. “beach house” or “plantation style”) along with “Myrtle Beach” and “custom builder.”
- Local Home Guides and Publications: Many Myrtle Beach restaurants and businesses have real estate magazines available in lobbies and entryways. Pick one up and browse.
- Personal Recommendations: Put a call for recommendations out on Facebook or ask a real estate professional for recommendations.
Your job at this point is to simply compile a list of custom builders working in the area with experience in the type of home you are looking to design and build.
Do Your Research
Now it’s time to research the builders on your list with the goal of creating a short list that you can personally speak with and interview. If you have a lengthy list of builders, and a large resort and second-home area like Myrtle Beach has plenty, your work can begin online.
- Find each builder online. Explore their design and build portfolios if they have a website. See if they have a social media presence as well. Try to get as much of an understanding of the company from their presence online.
- If you’re in the area, drive by homes, neighborhoods, or subdivisions where homes from this builder are located. Seeing things in person can give a different impression.
- Look up online reviews. Check Yelp, Facebook, Google, and Houzz for company reviews. Some reviews may offer personal experiences as well as photographs that serve as evidence.
At this point, hopefully you’ve been able to create a short-list of builders that you’d like to meet with. Contact each company and set up a face-to-face meeting or video call to hear from the builder directly and to see if they may offer what you are looking for.
Interview Custom Builders
The most important thing when choosing a builder is feeling comfortable that they understand you. This means that they ask detailed questions to learn about you, your family, what your lifestyle and aesthetics are, where you like to congregate or live, and much more. You can initiate these types of conversations early by considering these top questions to ask yourself and your potential builder during an interview.
Take a notebook, and ask to see examples of past work. You may also ask whether it is possible to tour one of the builder’s homes or speak with a past client.
What Odom Design Offers
Odom Design works hard to make sure every homeowner is happy and completely satisfied with our work. Here are some of the reasons why you should Choose Odom:
- Open Communication. Our goal is to communicate regularly with clients in their preferred method (phone, email, text, or in-person). We regularly share project updates and communicate challenges as needed. We invite all questions and want to make clients feel comfortable expressing ideas. If you are unhappy with an aspect of the project, we want to know so we can fix it.
- Quality Work. We like to think that our portfolio speaks for itself. At Odom Design, craftsmanship and honesty are the foundation our of philosophy. Regardless of budget, we strive to build long-lasting structures with integrity.
- Originality. Odom Design is a custom builder. We want to know you, your family, and your lifestyle, so we can incorporate that into the design. Your home should be a reflection of who you are, and we love working together with homeowners to make creative and functional living spaces.
Interested in a design-build or custom remodel project? Let’s connect so we can learn more about you and what you are looking for. Visit our website to contact us, or call 843-458-8276.